Pages

Saturday 10 August 2013

DIY Crochet Edged Lampshade

Happy Daisy DIY tutorial Lampshade Crochet Edging
I'm not a big fan of overhead lighting - give me fairylights and table lamps any day of the week! I picked up these ceramic blue lamp bases from a second hand shop last summer and the shades are super cheap ones from Wilkinsons - making them a bit more 'me' has been on my to do list for a while. Today I'm going to share how to add a scalloped crochet edge to your own lacklustre lampshade.

You will need:
A lampshade.
A crochet hook - I used a 2mm.
Yarn - I doubled up a strand of hand dyed wool, with a strand of cotton yarn.
A sewing needle - sharp enough to pierce holes in your lampshade, with an eye big enough for your yarn to fit through.

Happy Daisy DIY tutorial Lampshade Crochet Edging
First, you will need to blanket stitch all the way around the edge of your lampshade. Blanket stitch is a really simple embroidery stitch that's really useful to know.

Cut a long length of yarn - it's irritating to have to join new threads when you're blanket stitching. Insert your needle into your lampshade, front-to-back, leaving a tail that you'll weave in later. Instead of making the next hole working through from the back, as you would a running stitch, bring your needle back to the front of the lampshade, pushing it through front-to-back again. Before pulling the stitch tight, bring your needle back through the loop you've just created. Repeat until you get all the way around your shade. Knot your two end threads - you'll crochet over them, securing in the ends.

Happy Daisy DIY tutorial Lampshade Crochet Edging
I chose a simple little scallop edge for my lampshade, working into the blanket stitch, as you would a foundation chain.
In UK crochet terms: Double crochet into first blanket stitch loop, half treble, treble crochet, half treble, double crochet. Repeat in each stitch loop until all loops have been worked and join with a slip stitch.

In US crochet terms: Single crochet into first blanket stitch loop, half double, double crochet, half double, single crochet. Repeat until all loops have been worked and join with a slip stitch.
Happy Daisy DIY tutorial Lampshade Crochet Edging
There you have it, a much prettier lampshade!
I think I'll choose a different colour yarn for my second shade, maybe a coral pink…

Have a lovely weekend!
A ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...